Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 1: Reading (Or...That Thing I Only Do For School Assignments)

The first day of 2011 and I spend it like a nerd, reading a book for English class (as well as cleaning my room and playing the Sims). Part of me hopes the new year isn't spent being a nerd, but the other part sees the responsibility in doing all of my homework (ok, maybe not).

Anyhow, as part of my Independent Reading Assignment for AP Lit, I've been reading A Map Of The World by Jane Hamilton. Before I started reading it, several people told me to return it and get a new book. I was told the book was depressing. My mom's friend said she lost her faith in humanity (that the book discourages doing good deeds unto others). I kept it mostly because I had already written my name on the inside cover of the book. I'm kind of glad I'm reading it. The book is nearly 400 pages and I'm only on page 260 so I can't give a full analysis of it yet. However, thus far I have not lost my faith in humanity. The book is basically about a dairy farmer and his wife. His wife is accused of sexually assaulting a student while working as a nurse at the local school. She is then arrested and the family (which had few friends to begin with) lost all community support. The husband couldn't find a babysitter or even grocery clerks who would serve them. It's a story of the husband's strength despite the circumstances. Unless the town forms a mob to kill the family (and the family is unable to convince them to spare their lives), I severely doubt my faith in humanity will be lost so I (so far) most definitely recommended it.

I hope my new year is full of good books, wonderful stories, and entertaining narratives. I also hope I can find a way to be a little more social in the new year than this first day has proven to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment